How to Clean All-on-4® Dental Implants
Here are some recommendations for cleaning your implant supported bridges.
Once you get in the habit — you should be able to clean your implant supported bridge in 90 – 120 seconds at each cleaning. Doing this twice a day — once when you wake up or after breakfast, and once before you go to bed or after dinner — will keep your teeth and dental implants at optimal health.
- After every meal use “superfloss” under the bridge.
- Use a “Waterpik®” with ¼ non-alcohol anti-bacterial mouth rinse and water.
- Use an electric tooth brush such as a Sonicare. These significantly improve cleaning and plaque removal.
- Brush your tongue and cheeks to remove bacteria and odors.
- Attend professional cleaning appointments every 3 months.
Whether you have your final “All on 4®” bridge or your temporary fixed bridge on your dental implants, your daily home care procedures should be very similar.
Your goal is threefold:
- Remove any food that remains.
- Remove bacteria that clings over and under the bridge.
- Prevent those same bacteria from hardening onto the bridge (knows as plaque) which eventually causes mouth odors and implant related gum disease.
Oral-B® Superfloss is special dental floss — it has a special stiffened end that helps get it under your bridge, and has a spongy component that is super to rub off plaque and bacteria.
Use your Superfloss a minimum of one time a day. The ideal protocol is once after breakfast, and once before you go to bed.
Ideal Protocol — 2-to-3 times a day
- Brush your teeth, gums and cheeks with a regular tooth brush or your Sonicare to remove bulky food.
- Use your Superfloss to get under the bridge’s underside.
- Now use your Waterpik® — filling the tank ¼ mouth rinse and ¾ water under the bridge, etc.
- Consider using a proxy brush or end tuft brush to get any other tough areas, especially where the bridge intersects your gums.
An electric toothbrush such as the Sonicare is a great investment. Their sonic vibrations as well as electric movement is 5 times more effective in cleaning than a manual toothbrush. They can be purchased at drug stores, online at Amazon, and many dentists sell them as well.
When cleaning is complete, rinse twice a day with a non-alcohol mouth rinse like Natural Dentist. Also dip your cleaning aids in Natural Dentist when cleaning your bridge.
Your dental hygienist should clean around your bridge every 3 months as well. Dr. Loetscher has designed your bridge to make it relatively easy to be unscrewed by your dentist at times to clean and polish underneath it. Your dentist can advise you of your need to have the bridge removed at times to thoroughly clean and polish it. This will depend on your own diligence at oral hygiene to some degree.